Monday, July 1, 2024

"A Winter Day" a short story by Craig Zimmerman

The day after Christmas, Suzie and I were watching an old movie that had several scenes that took place in the snow and Suzie couldn't get over it.

"My Grandpa told me about snow. He said you could build things and have snowball fights and it was so much fun."

I took a look at the outside digital thermometer, it read 133 degrees. "That was a long time ago Suzie."

"Grandpa said that sometimes they would get so much snow that school would be cancelled, and they could spend the whole day sliding down a big hill."

Suzie was so excited about the idea of snow that I didn't have the heart to remind her of the changes to the climate that had occurred in the last thirty years.

When the movie was over, we played a game of cards, but in the middle of the game, Suzie became excited about something that was happening outside.

"It's snowing!" Suzie shouted.

I looked out the window and sure enough white flakes were coming down, but the temperature was still over 120 degrees.

Before I could stop her, Suzie opened the insulated door and ran outside.

The soot from a nearby burning forest landed softly around her.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment