Sunday, July 18, 2010

Fossil Digging

Yesterday, I drove up into the Cascade foothills to look for some fossils.The fossils began their long process of completion when ash from an erupting volcano (probably Mount Rainier) mixed with the water from a pond or lake and many, many years later hardened into rock. On the way up the hill, I encountered a Department of Natural Resources forest fire crew. I asked them if there was a fire up on the ridge, but they said no. I think the fire crew was a regular patrol that searches for early fires and puts them out.

 I found several fossils of long dead plant-life and decided to head back home. On my way back to my truck, I ran into the same crew of fire fighters that I had talked to earlier. They asked me if everything was ok, and I said yes. Fighting forest fires is hot, dangerous work and I salute the men and women that do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment