Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Fisherman

With his home-made pole, The Fisherman seemed slightly out of place among the expensive fiberglass poles that most of the other anglers held at the dock. Still The Fisherman's bucket was usually full of fish. This was a man who knew what he was doing.

 In my early teens, I developed an obsession with fishing and I would often ride my bike down to Dash Point to try my luck off the dock. The Fisherman was usually there when I arrived, his wooden pole dangling over the railing. Sometimes, I would choose a place close by so I could watch him at his craft. 

The Fisherman was old and appeared to be from the south Pacific region. I suspected that for him fishing was a part of life rather than a hobby like it was for me. At that time, I was only beginning to understand that being successful at getting food is a matter of survival for many people.

A couple of years later, I began to drive and the dock and other places were left behind. But I still think about The Fisherman and the lessons I learned from him. 

     
                   Craig  Zimmerman

      
                             


No comments:

Post a Comment