Friday, September 4, 2015

"The Cave" a short story by Craig Zimmerman

Jim was deep in the back country when he noticed the cave. He had been that way several times before and had not noticed a cave, but still there it was.

Jim pulled a flashlight out of his backpack and walked up to the entrance of the cave. The cave ceiling appeared to be high enough for him to walk upright. Jim took a few steps into the cave and stopped. Caves could be very dangerous, but he decided to explore this one just a little.

After about a 100 yards inside the cave, Jim noticed the faint traces of a light ahead. Jim followed the light until he entered a large cavern. Suddenly, a panel opened in the cavern wall exposing another room. 

Bones of every kind were scattered around the room and some kind of shapeless thing  occupied a kind of throne against the new cavern's wall. Jim turned to run, but found the exit gone. "There is no need to be afraid" the thing in the chair said.

"Who or what are you?" Jim asked the creature. "I can't answer either question." The creature said. "My only memory is of  being in this cave. I have the ability to manipulate matter in some fashion, but I do not have the power to leave this cave."

"So I am to be dinner?" Jim said looking at all the bones. The creature laughed. "No, I have no need for what you think of as food. The bones you see are from people and animals that have kept me company over the long years."

"I don't understand." Jim said  "I do not have the physical needs of your kind." the creature said, but I do need companions. I will provide you with food and drink and you will be my friend as long as you live."

"What if I do not wish to be your friend.?" Jim said. "There is no other choice.The cave entrance has been sealed." The creature responded.

Jim looked at the bones on the floor. The creature was right. For the time being, there was no escape.



No comments:

Post a Comment