Thursday, November 5, 2015

"Fish Story" a short story by Craig Zimmerman

A lot of the guys on the dock had stories about champion fish they had caught in the past, but Riley was the worst of the bunch. According to him, he had caught fish all over the world and on other planets too.

One of Riley's favorite stories was catching giant Catfish on Venus. All the guys got a good laugh at that one. One Saturday at the dock I wasn't having any luck and Riley starts in with his Venus Catfish story and I guess I got a little angry and dared him to take me with him on his next fishing trip to Venus.

I was surprised as hell when Riley agreed to take me. I figured he was setting me up for a practical joke so I played along until I could make my move. We agreed to meet at his house next Saturday and I was there bright and early.

Riley took me to his garage. There was a big, complicated machine in there. Riley called the machine a time-space displacement device or something like that. He said that he could transport himself almost anywhere in the solar system with reasonable accuracy.

Of course, some planets were too cold or poisonous to travel to, but he found that Venus is actually pretty nice.

I stand where Riley tells me and for a few seconds there is nothing but blackness. Suddenly there is a bright light and I am in this place I have never seen before. It's a little warm and there are several large ponds in the area. Riley came along a few minutes later with the gear and we settled down to fishing.

Riley was right about the catfish and they were good eating too. 






No comments:

Post a Comment