Wednesday, January 31, 2018

"The Abandoned" a short story by Craig Zimmerman

Jason noticed the old man walking around the Simmons place when he was feeding the chickens. The Simmons farm had been abandoned since the 1960s. Jason had heard stories about the broken down house since he was a toddler.

Apparently, The Simmons family had just vanished one day and left everything behind. The police had investigated but found nothing. After so many years, the house was now a ruin. Sometimes kids would go in on Halloween and tell scary stories about what happened to The Simmons family.

Jason watched the old man for a moment and thought it might be a good idea to warn the stranger that the old house wasn't safe. Jason had been hurt the previous Summer when he fell through a rotted floor.

As Jason approached, the old man began speaking. "I was only ten years old when they came " he began. "Who came?" Jason asked, but the old man continued as if Jason wasn't there. They were called "The Zor" and they herded us into their ship in the middle of the night.

"In the ship were other people and creatures that I didn't recognize.The journey took months. My mother and father tried to keep me and my sister calm, but it was miserable.When we arrived at The Zor world we were put to work doing senseless chores. I learned later that The Zor didn't need slave labor, they were just trying to keep an old tradition going. My parents and my sister died for that tradition."

The old man continued: "Not long ago, The Zor government decided to abolish slavery and return all remaining captives to their home worlds. The stranger looked at the ruined farm. "They brought me back here."




No comments:

Post a Comment