Wednesday, April 18, 2018

"Night Watch" a short story by Craig Zimmerman

For the twentieth time, Virgil checked his watch. It was 3:30, he still had four hours to go. When he applied for the security guard job, he thought it would be an easy way to make some cash but the reality was long cold nights with no one to talk to.  

His present assignment was watching over an industrial park in the valley. Virgil decided to do another walk around the installation to kill some time.

As he was walking around a warehouse a woman walked out of the mist. Virgil could hardly believe his eyes. The woman was beautiful and dressed in a fabulous outfit. "Can I help you Miss?" Virgil asked in his best security guard voice.

"I'm looking for a boyfriend." The woman answered. "I haven't seen anyone besides you tonight." Virgil answered. The woman smiled. "What I meant was I am looking for a new boyfriend."

"That's very nice, but this probably isn't the best place to do that." Virgil remarked. "How about you- would you like to go out with me?" The woman inquired. Virgil was beginning to think this was a weird joke, but what the hell. "Sure, I'll go out with you." he answered. The woman held out her hand, "I'm Margaret" Virgil took the delicate hand "Virgil."

 "Let's go someplace."  Margaret said. Virgil stepped back. "I can't just leave. This is my job." "What if we could  go somewhere and you wouldn't have to worry about that?" Margaret said.Virgil shrugged. "Sure why not." He was beginning to think he was actually asleep in the guard shack and this was a dream.

Margaret clasped his hand once again and they were suddenly on the banks of a river. "What happened?" Virgil asked. "I thought it would be fun to visit London." Margaret answered. Virgil searched for and found all the familiar English landmarks.  "Are we really in London?" Margaret nodded. "How is that possible?" he asked. "It's just a special talent that I have." Margaret answered mysteriously.

For the next few hours, the couple wandered around London and had dinner in an old pub. True to her word, Virgil was returned to his job at the same time that he left. He didn't miss anything. 

As the sun came up, Virgil thought about the incredible events of the previous night and couldn't wait for his next shift. Margaret had promised to take him to Paris.




No comments:

Post a Comment