Sunday, June 27, 2021

"Blackjack" a short story by Craig Zimmerman

"Gimme a card," Gary said. Annie handed him a three of clubs which gave him seventeen. "What are you going to do after graduation?" she asked giving herself a seven of hearts for a total of eleven.


"I got a job at a warehouse" Brian answered. Annie nodded. "And you?" he asked. Annie looked embarrassed. "I was accepted into Yale."


Brian briefly touched her hand. "That's great Annie. I knew you could do it." "I'm going to miss seeing you at school every day," she said shyly.

"I'm going to miss you too," Brian said sincerely. They had known each other since elementary school and had always played Blackjack during lunch. Annie's father had taught her the game some years before after a trip to Las Vegas and it quickly became their favorite 
activity while they ate.

"Maybe we could still play on Facebook or something like that," Annie suggested. Brian tried to think of an answer that wouldn't hurt Annie's feelings, but all he knew was that everything was changing and Blackjack during lunch would soon be a thing of the past.

"Deal me another card" Brian said. "You're supposed to say "hit me" Annie teased. "Ok- hit me." she gave him nine of clubs and herself a queen of diamonds.  "You win" he said gathering up the deck. 

After a quick goodbye hug with Annie, Brian walked away from the table tossing his cards away one by one.



No comments:

Post a Comment