Saturday, May 21, 2011

Armed Forces Parade

Today, I attended the annual Bremerton Armed Forces Parade and I have to say that I enjoyed it very much and I learned to appreciate our armed forces a little more. The sight of an elderly World War Two veteran marching in the parade while carrying an oxygen bottle touched me deeply.

 In addition to the military exhibits, there were also a grab-bag of other themes including a group that advocates for the mentally ill. The school marching bands were great. The dedication and hard work that these kids put in for their performance gives me great hope for the future. One remarkable young girl was doing gymnastic moves on the hard pavement.

The weather was a little dreary, but the crowd was large and there was a great deal of cheerful interaction between spectators and the marchers.

In some ways, Hometown parades are a reflection of America, and judging from today, I would say that we are doing ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment