Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Book Review- "A Homespun Regency Christmas"

http://us.penguingroup.com/ I don't generally care for romance stories, but I do like "A Homespun regency Christmas" which features a collection of four stories set in the  19th century British Isles during the Christmas season.

In the first story, "An Object of Charity" by Carla Kelly, a British Navy captain falls in love with an unexpected visitor.

 Elizabeth Fitzhollis desperately tries to save her crumbling family estate in "The Wexford Carol" by Emma Jensen and falls in love in the process. The Wexford Carol has a sweet Irish charm and is my favorite of the four stories.

"Mistletoe and Folly" by Sandra Heath is well-crafted but a little too superficial in my opinion. I suppose that as a male, I am not the target audience, but I was annoyed that the author chose to describe the dress of every character. I am sure that there were some well-dressed aristocrats in 19th century London, but there were also thousands of hungry Londoners dressed in rags.

 The plot of Mistletoe and Folly also includes a double-crossing former friend and an amoral new fiance'

 "Once Upon A Midnight Clear" by Amanda McCabe is a sweet story about the healing power of love. Antoinette is the beautiful daughter of a freed Jamaican slave who falls in love with a former British Navy Captain physically and emotionally scarred by war.

No comments:

Post a Comment